Deal of the Month
Many start-ups have begun their growth with “friends and family” money or investments from angel- or seed-stage investors. Angel investors – – particularly sophisticated angel groups – –
Peter Laberee’s experience is extensive, involving billions of dollars in transaction value and several hundred transactions, including dozens of angel-, early- and mid-stage finance deals, including over 30 transactions in the past 3 years.
Some specific examples of venture capital and angel-stage engagements of Peter Laberee and Laberee Law PC include:
- Represented several financial and strategic investor groups in an early-stage investment in various e-Sports and gaming-themed projects.
- Represented investors in a tech-enabled automotive service network.
- Represented a strategic investor in a financial technology company.
- Formation and operation of a technology service and repair company.
- Formation of an educational technology company.
- A group of angel investors affiliated with the country’s top angel-finance group in connection with a Series Seed transaction with a voice-recognition and automated CRM technology company.
- A group of angel investors affiliated with the country’s top angel-finance group in connection with a Series Seed transaction with a social media portal.
- The founders and investors in connection with the formation of a data-mining technology company.
- A group of angel investors affiliated with the country’s top angel-finance group in connection with a Series Seed transaction with an advanced technology circuit fabrication company.
- A group of angel investors in investment and governance matters for an e-commerce platform
- Represented an early-stage automation and IOT company in its first round of outside funding, and related matters.
- Counseled members of a large angel-stage investment group in numerous co-investment transactions, including document review and negotiation.
- Represented an investor in convertible debt and stock purchase transaction in a web-enabled service firm.
- Structured and documented the formation and funding of a start-up to exploit a patent portfolio.
Additionally, Laberee Law PC has represented the investors in more than 20 similar deals, many of whom are affiliated with a prominent NY-based angel investor group.
- Members of an investment group in connection with the formation of an investment fund focusing on regional technology investments.
- Members of an investment group in connection with the formation of a restaurant development fund.
- Members of an investment group in connection with the formation of an investment fund focusing on technology transactions.
- A private air-carrier in formation, merger, finance and corporate matters.
- A software company in the creation and funding of a technology joint venture.
- A regional venture capital fund in various investments, follow-ons and exits.
- Investors in the formation of an angel-stage investment fund and provided transaction support for numerous deals to which the fund was party.
- A regional venture capital fund in various investments, follow-ons and exits.
- An entertainment technology company in connection with its acquisition by and integration into a national platform.
- A technology entrepreneur-inventor in connection with corporate development and financing.
- A strategic investor in the purchase and development of a technology portfolio.
- Numerous alarm operators, acquirors, lenders and investors in dozens of acquisitions, sales and financing transactions.
- Venture capital investors in an information security hardware-software company.
- Investors in a fall-protection and safety technology company.
- A supply chain software company in all matters.
- A mail-postage logistics company in all matters.
- Investors in an injury monitoring-device company.
- The owners of a safety consulting and technology company in connection with a sale of the business.
- Various clients in connection with counseling and industry matters relating to RFID and RTLS technologies and related inventory and asset control matters.
- Investors in an early-stage first-responders technology company.
- Several technology companies devoted to financial supply chain and payment technologies.
- A first-responder technology company in early-stage matters.
- A planning Software Company in formation and financing.
- A technology company with a proprietary shelter-in-place security.
- Negotiated and documented numerous software and service agreements in the supply chain and business services space.
Peter Laberee has been involved with food, beverage and branded products matters for over 30 years, starting with the famous “Diet Coke” case in the 1980’s through more recent niche beverage and specialty food engagements. His work has included the protection and development of brand equity and the structuring of enterprises with an eye toward the special issues than can arise in the branded product context. We have represented:
- An internationally known food executive in connection with an investment in an early-stage confection retailer and election to the board of directors.
- A prominent food and beverage executive in formation of a new investment and strategy business, and in several engagements.
- A sales executive in a national food brand in connection with departure matters.
- A new energy drink company in formation and funding, and assisted in related trademark matters.
- A national tea brand in connection with certain strategic transactions.
- Bottled water companies in various bottling and contract matters.
- A functional food ingredient company in formation, general corporate and financing matters.
- A restaurant investment fund in formation and general corporate matters.
- A multi-brand apparel company in general corporate matters.
- Various investors in proposed coffee, restaurant and food projects in reviews of transaction and investment documents.
- Major soft drink distributors and bottlers in many bottling, distribution and franchise agreements
- A food-safety technology company in all matters.
- Investors and founders in the evaluation of early-stage financing structures and documentation for branded food and restaurant opportunities.
- Several investors in various restaurant and hospitality technology matters.
- Investors in several fashion product ventures and in numerous fashion-tech transactions.
- Assist a beverage technology company in corporate and finance matters.
- Represent investors in the funding of a start-up food venture.
- A consumer-product start up in connection with a $1,000,000 angel-stage financing and various start-up matters.
- A beverage retailer and consulting firm in connection with financing and general corporate matters.
- Represented client with a beverage inventory control technology
- Represented a restaurant design firm in financing matters
- 8 researchers (in separate deals) from Princeton University.
- A team at the The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
- Faculty members of New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- Several teams at Rutgers University.
- Additional university faculty members in business matters.
- Participants in a commercialization enterprise associated with the University of Pennsylvania.
- A bio-med project out of Columbia University.
We are acutely aware of the special issues — legal, business and philosophical — that can arise in technology transfer and development projects and we are experienced in working with university technology transfer offices on behalf of faculty members and investors.
ABOUT LABEREE LAW PC
Substantial counseling experience with CEO’s, CFO’s, COO’s and directors of public and private companies in all areas of corporate law and governance. 40 years’ experience in corporate counseling, including under Delaware law. Structured and closed hundreds of transactions in various industries with aggregate transaction value in the billions of dollars.
Extensive experience in angel-stage and seed stage finance on behalf of individual investors, angel groups and larger venture funds. Structured and closed dozens of early-stage investment transactions. Documented and closed dozens of angel-, early- and mid-stage finance deals, including over 100 transactions in the past 10 years.
LABEREE LAW PC
Combining Business, Law, Finance & Vision